The Year of The Flood


Wow- it sure got COLD this week. The snow and ice look like they're sticking around! Supposed to snow again tonight. I think it got down to -4 or -5, so were not super frozen yet but It's definitely chilly out there. I love going out into it for a little while and then walking into the warm house. Makes for some cute pink cheeks and noses!

Anyways, during this week I finally got to finish up the second book of Margaret Atwood's MaddAdam trilogy. I'm sure I have mentioned before that Oryx and Crake is by far my favourite book on the planet, but I wasn't so sure about reading the second one for awhile. I thought maybe perhaps it would ruin Oryx and Crake a bit for me, but in fact, did the exact opposite.

Oryx and Crake was published in 2003, and Year of the Flood in 2009 so who knows when #3 will come out but it's one of those series that although you want to read it asap, its totally worth waiting for.

I am again, SO amazed at how Margaret Atwood created the world as it is in this series. Its unbelievable how talented she is. I cannot praise her enough. And the characters... SO well written that your heart literally aches in places of these books, as you feel they are so real. I can honestly say these are total works of art- easily in the top of my list of the best books ever written that I have read. If you have no idea what I'm talking about- educate yourself and read about this trilogy. It truly is amazing.

I absolutely loved Toby and Ren's stories and how they managed to survive the waterless flood using their Gardeners knowledge. In a time where the world was ending they learned the value of life and survival and it paid off for them in the end with a little luck and a lot of skill. I almost loved Year of the Flood more than Oryx and Crake but I'm not sure if I want to say that because Oryx and Crake was just so incredible. Reading book two just made me want to read book 1 again but alas- there are more books to be read!

And so I leave you with the Year of the Flood summary, book cover, and link to the Year of The Flood website in case your curious little mind wants to check things out farther :) Also it;s highly recommended to read book one first as so many of book one's unanswered questions are revealed to you in book 2.


The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
Adam One, the kindly leader of the God’s Gardeners – a religion devoted 2 the melding of science, religion, and nature – has long predicted a disaster. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women remain: Ren, a young dancer locked away in a high-end sex club, and Toby, a former God’s Gardener, who barricades herself inside a luxurious spa. Have others survived? Ren’s bio-artist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers? Not to mention the CorpSeCorps, the shadowy policing force of the ruling powers… As Adam One and his beleaguered followers regroup, Ren and Toby emerge into an altered world, where nothing – including the animal life – is predictable.

http://yearoftheflood.ca/ca/

0 comments: